The other morning, I woke up and as usual (like all of us in the modern world) switched on social media. I may, however, look at some slightly different things than most ‘normal’ people but what really is ‘normal’. I love getting my morning fix of recipes and in some instances, feel the need to get up and ‘make’ whatever I find. This was a Pure Winner. I love oats, I love how good they are for you, I love how they can fill you up and I love how they can replace my beloved bread – which doesn’t like me. The only thing is I don’t normally like is Porridge – ie hot oats and milk (random considering I’m Scottish) BUT this was pure heavenly deliciousness. Hubster and I ate it straight from the oven with some greek yoghurt and berries, but we discovered that if left, it takes on a cake like texture – 2 for 1. Hallelujah
This recipe was adapted from a website called Eating Bird Food and I will defo be making again.
Makes – 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35-40mins
2 cups raw Oats
1/2 cup Pecans, chopped and divided
1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup, (plus more for serving – optional)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
Scant 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain Salt
2 cups Milk (I used lactose free but you could use, oat milk, almond milk, normal milk)
1 large Egg (or 1 Tablespoon flaxseed)
2 tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
2 teaspoons pure Vanilla extract (we had run out and it was ok without)
2 ripe Bananas
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking tray or run round with some oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, half the pecans, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Whizz up the milk, maple syrup, egg, vanilla and bananas. Melt the coconut oil and mix with the liquid ingredients. You need to be quick or the coconut oil solidifies when it hits the cold ingredients (my first go)
- Carefully pour oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter the remaining pecans across the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is nicely golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Portion and serve. Drizzle each portion with maple syrup if you want it a bit sweeter.
- Amazing served with greek yoghurt and fresh berries or left for a few hours, takes on the texture of a tray bake.