Does your body need some TLC? A quick, easy, cost effective way to get nutrient dense goodness into your system to heal the digestive system, keep your body and brain strong or sustain already good health.
1 Organic Whole Chicken (or whatever bones you want to use)
3 large Carrots
2 large Celery stalks
(any other veg you feel like throwing in such as leeks)
(If you have add 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar for digestion)
good quality sea salt/pepper
any spices, herbs you want – turmeric is great for health & cumin if putting in lentils/leeks – gas inducing type foods – ooh er!
(but no stock cubes please)
- Wash the chicken (or whatever bones you want to use)
- Roughly chop the veg and throw in to the large pot with the chicken & spices etc.
- Cover with water and put a lid on, bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for approx 2 hours plus. (keep checking to make sure its not too dry and if so, add more water. If there is a ‘scum’ on the top, scrape off and throw away)
- When you’re time is up (and the longer the better), carefully remove the chicken and put to one side and strain the veggies and again keep to one side.
- Carefully pick the chicken meat off the bones – it will fall apart very easily so watch for tiny bones
- Now you can do a few things:
- if you wish the liquid to be completely bit free, strain through a muslin cloth or sieve
- the liquid can be drunk throughout the day if you’re poorly or whenever you wish to keep your health up – it can be frozen too.
- I like to keep the big pieces of white chicken meat in the freezer for another meal but put the smaller pieces back into the pot with the veggies and a few ladles of the ‘broth’ liquid – voila a super healthy easy peasy soup as is (or I whizz). You can add lentils, other veg whatever you fancy. Have it there and then or put in the freezer for another day.
There are masses of variations / recipes you could do, so go ahead and Google too.